!!! ATTENTION !!!
Paramotor City Glider Shop has been renamed AIRTOYZ ULTRALIGHT AVIATION, LLC and has moved to our home state of Arizona.
Our new website Airtoyz.com is still under construction, some working links are in the left side bar. Check it out!
Before sending us your wing...
Please fill out the new Airtoyz.com Service Form and then print the new Airtoyz.com Shipping Label.
Our new shop is located at Sun Valley Airport A20 in Fort Mohave, Arizona and you can find the address in the right side bar.
Paraglider Wing Inspections
What is a "Paraglider Wing Inspection"?
Due to age, exposure to the UV spectrum in sunlight, damage from wear, or simply the stresses of flight, used paraglider wings can change their shape and lose their ability to perform as intended. A "Paraglider Wing Inspection" is a series of tests that will evaluate your used paraglider wings' ability to perform as designed. The overall safety of your used paraglider wing can be determined during these procedures.
A professional paraglider wing inspection will reveal any weak spots in your used paraglider that compromises safety.
Such weak spots include:
- UV damage to fabric and lines
- High Porosity - air is moving through the wings' fabric too easily
- The outer sheathing of a line is worn or torn exposing the inner core
- The inner core of a line is damaged or broken
- Lines have stretched or shrunk, causing the wing to change its shape. Remember it is the shape of the wing that provides lift and control.
- Damage to risers or riser hardware, "webbing", "quick links", "pullies", "O" rings, etc.
- Rips, holes or excessive wear of the paraglider wing
- Damage of the stitched seams in the paraglider fabric
- Damage of the line tabs
- Deformities in the paraglider wing
When Should a Paraglider Wing Be Inspected?
Most manufacturers suggest that a used paraglider wing be inspected after one year or 100 hours of use and sun exposure, whichever comes first. Paraglider wing inspections should be performed if you notice that your used paraglider wing is not performing as it used to. If you plan to purchase a used paraglider wing, it would be wise to have it inspected first, in order to evaluate its condition. If you want to sell your used paraglider wing, having it inspected and showing prospective buyers the detailed Paraglider Wing Inspection Report will allow you to clearly articulate the condition of the wing.
What do Paraglider Wing Inspections Include?
The following tests and procedures are performed during every Paraglider Wing Inspection...
- The paraglider wing is hung vertically on a frame, with the leading edge down, to facilitate cleaning out each cell (You'd be stunned to know what things we have found inside wings)
- Each line is inspected for outer sheathing and inner core damage
- Each line's length is measured and compared to manufacture's specifications using charts kept on file
- Corresponding lines from the left and right side of the paraglider wing are checked for symmetry
- Line Strength Tests are performed and evaluated
- A Porosity Test is made of the wing's fabric to measure the amount of air that can pass directly through the fabric disrupting the ideal airflow for a paraglider wing
- A Fabric Strength Test is performed to evaluate the material's ability to stop a small hole from becoming a large tear and a big problem
- Stitching and seams are examined for integrity
- Risers are checked for wear
- Quick-Links/Maillons are checked for cracks & bends
- Worn or missing "O" rings are replaced
- Main Brake Lines are changed out if worn
- A detailed "Paraglider Wing Inspection Report" is prepared describing the test results and contains a summary of the paraglider wings' condition
Paraglider Wing Inspection Costs
Speed Wing or Kite Complete Inspection: $130
Paraglider or PPC, Complete Annual Inspection: $145
Tandem Paraglider or PPC (42 sq. meters & larger), Complete Annual Inspection: $155
Canopy Inspection (generally recommended after an incident or accident): $80
Individual Paraglider Wing Tests
(if you do not feel a full inspection is warranted)
Line Break Test: $45
Line Inspection and Correction of Asymmetry: $50
Porosity & Tear Resistance Tests: $35 for both tests
Top Line: $15
Main Line: $20
Line Installation: $5, per line
Paraglider Wing Repairs
All Repairs & Modifications: $40 per hour plus the cost of materials.
!!! RETURN SHIPPING COSTS ARE NOT INCLUDED !!!
- Contact us via Email with any questions or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If any concerns about the safety of the paraglider wings' condition are revealed during the Paraglider Wing Inspection, the client will be contacted with our findings and repair recommendations
CLICK HERE TO ACCESS AN ARTICLE ABOUT PARAGLIDER WING INSPECTIONS
SHIPPING YOUR PARAGLIDER WING
Please follow the instructions below for shipping your wing to us for an inspection OR repair.
1. Fill out this form Airtoyz.com Service Form, when completed we will have all necessary information we need to help you with your emergency reserve parachute.
2. Click on this link: Airtoyz.com Shipping Label to get a printable shipping form. Please include the lower portion in your box so we can identify your wing and tape the upper shipping label portion to the outside of your box.
3. Pack your wing in a sturdy cardboard box, as this is the box we will use to ship your wing back to you.
DO NOT USE A HARD PLASTIC CONTAINER. The softer, bendable ones are fine, but HARD Plastic Boxes have been known to crack & break during shipping.
!!! IMPORTANT: DO NOT use "styrofoam peanuts" when packing your wing !!!
4. Insure the wing for what you need to receive IF the wing gets lost in the mail. We normally insure your wing for $1,500 when we ship it back to you, unless otherwise requested by you.